Swash is a web browser extension that pays you to browse the web. It’s built using decentralised technology.
When you use Swash, data you already give away for free is captured, anonymised, and sold on a decentalised marketplace, hosted by Streamr. Your data is pooled together with others’ to create a large data set, or Data Union, which data buyers pay to access via subscription.
You will then receive 70% of the profits for your contribution, with payments deposited directly into your account in DATAcoin. The remaining 30% will be used by Swash to continue operating and growing the platform. More users = more value for the community.
What is the difference between Swash and giant data collectors?
We put you - as the value contributor - first. Your data is anonymous and end-to-end encrypted for privacy and we make sure you receive proper compensation for your value. Noone else does that.
The data we collect is more reliable and much higher quality than what other data collectors can offer because it’s given with full consent and transparency. Others tend to use shady collection methods and it’s all a bit of a mess, whereas ours is clean and transparent.
Our Data Union is diverse too. That simply means we have data from a range of websites all together, rather than siloed, making life easier for everyone.
Swash has been built on top of the Streamr stack and uses their coin, DATA. Streamr Marketplace makes it possible for users to buy and sell access to real-time data on the Streamr Network.
Do I need to understand crypto for this?
No, you don’t need to understand anything about cryptocurrencies to be able to start earning. All you need to do is install the extension and let it run. After that, when you’re ready to withdraw your earnings, you’ll need to know how to withdraw your earnings to your chosen Ethereum wallet address. It’s super easy, just check these links.
Which platforms and web browsers does Swash work on?
Swash currently works on the desktop version of Firefox, Chrome and all Chromium-based web browsers like Chromium, Microsoft Edge Insider, Brave, UC Browser, and Opera. We’re working on expanding to Android and iOS, so watch this space.
Why does the 'Get Swash' button always direct me to the Chrome store?
The 'Get Swash' button automatically redirects you to the web browser you’re using, but the default is Chrome.
Should I be concerned about my privacy when using Swash?
No, privacy is one of the most important values for Swash. That’s why our source code is completely open-source and ready for scrutiny on our Github
How does Swash keep my data anonymous?
We don’t create any relationship between your identity and your data. Your only identifier is your Ethereum wallet address and a random unique identifier. The wallet address is used for authentication and payment purposes and the unique identifier is set according to your privacy level.
How can I be sure that my sensitive data is safe and not added to the marketplace?
for more detail.
Can I see who buys or uses my data?
Whenever a buyer buys the product, a transaction will be logged on the Ethereum network. Everyone can track the transactions in Ethereum network and find the buyers wallet addresses, but it doesn't mean you can find out who is behind the address.
Can I use Swash in a web browser private mode?
When you install Swash, you will be prompted to choose if you would like the extension to work in private windows. If yes, click on the box next to ‘Allow this extension to run in Private Windows’. For more information about Firefox extensions in private browsing check this link
and for Chrome extensions in private browsing check this link
Note: As there are some limitations in browser private mode, some Swash functionalities may not work properly when you are in private mode.
You earn DATAcoin, the native token of Streamr. You can then withdraw your earnings into an Ethereum wallet, from which it’s easy to withdraw to into fiat if you like.
Does ‘Swash is in Beta’ mean I can’t earn money?
No. You still can earn money and buyers can buy the product. It just means it’s not production-grade yet and we can expect some glitches and bugs.
How does Swash make money for its creator team?
The Swash team receives 30% of profits to be able to advance the business. The other 70% goes to Swash users. The more users we have, the bigger the Data Union. The bigger the Data Union, the more valuable it is for buyers, meaning that Swash users will continue to receive more for their contributions as the ecosystem grows.
Why is my balance zero when I've installed Swash and used my browser for a while?
Unfortunately, this is a bug. Swash is in beta version at the moment so we’re working on fixing any problems that come up. If you find any, don’t hesitate to tell us about it!
The zero balance issue is caused by a synchronisation problem on the Streamr Data Union server. The Streamr team is aware of this and are working to resolve it by implementing a new more robust Data Union backend architecture. Once we have that, all data unions, including Swash, will run smoothly.
Can I donate my earnings to charity?
Yes, soon! This is one of the new features we’re working on that will be announced soon.